Sunday 22 July 2012

On blight alert!

My toms are giving me cause for concern. At the moment I have 8 cordon plants, 4 of which I think have blight-like discolouration on the leaves and  all four bush/tumbling plants have the same.


To my very untrained eye, it looks like the early stages. I've found some black patches halfway along a truss on several plants. My solution at the moment is to take off  any dodgy looking leaves as close to the main stem as possible and where there are black spots on trusses, I'm just chopping them off.  I know whatever happens I'm still going to have a good crop whether they are red or green they will be put to use. Thankfully, there is no one growing there own anywhere near us so I don't need to worry about it spreading.


This stunning little flower came from a wildflower seed mix I threw on the small patch of earth we have out the front, back in April. Little pockets of loveliness are growing up in between the lavender. We were off out today and thankfully I had my camera with me, I don't usually bother about the front but this one deserves to be shared. I'm thinking next April, I shall do a bit of guerilla gardening and sprinkle wildflower seeds wherever possible in the local area.

x

6 comments:

  1. Lovely idea to sprinkle seeds about... that will bring joy to many.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a similar flower in my front garden, grown in the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear, I'm sorry to read about blight on your tomatoes.
    The pretty flower is a corn cockle (agrostemma githago) which is a native wild flower. It's an annual which should self-seed, and you can also save some seed if you want to grow it elsewhere.
    Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike, I was going to sit down tis week in a quiet moment and try and find out what it was called, you have saved me the job! Very apt name. x

      Delete
  4. Let's hope you'll get tomatoeharvest in spite of that yellowness. I have lots of raw tomatoes, but none mature ones..

    ReplyDelete